On this page, we list the main changes that affected the instrument and this web site. For earlier news see this page, and for earlier updates see this page
- As of 2012-10-04 there are 596 papers, based on SofI data, and the number is growing. Check ESO Telescope Bibliography.
- The problem with the GenericSpectro and GenericImaging templates was solved: from now on the guiding option B must be used for guided observations, and N must be used for non-guided observations (2012-05-10).
- SofI User Manual ver. 2.30 released; autoguiding info updated (May 10, 2012).
- SofI User Manual ver. 2.20 released; global overhaul of the web page, particularly the Tools and Data reduction pages; update of the SofI specific visitor page; new bad pixel mask, new ZJJsHKs special dome flats, new ZJJsHKs illumination corrections, distortion maps for spectrosocpy (Blue, Red, H and K set ups), photometric zero points (May 23, 2011).
- Web-page clean up, correction of obsolete links, and migration of the entire calibration fits archive to a new ftp repository (Apr 14, 2011).
- New/updated: bad pixel mask, linearity correction, gain, read-out-noise, zero points and atmospheric extinction coefficients, illumination corrections in all broad band filters, and some web page cleanup/update (Aug 2010).
Press Releases (with lot of pretty pictures)
- The Light and Dark Face of a Star-Forming Nebula (Mar 31, 2010)
- Watching a Cannibal Galaxy Dine (Nov 20, 2009)
- Ticking Stellar Time Bomb Identified (Nov 17, 2009)
- New portrait of Omega Nebula's glistening watercolours (Jul 7, 2009)
- Seeing through the Dark (Mar 07, 2008)
- Star Family Seen Through Dusty Fog (Mar 13, 2007)
- The Star, the Dwarf and the Planet (Oct 19, 2006)
- HD3651b - BD companion to a planet-hosting star, Click here for an animation. (Aug 28, 2006)
- The Great Easter Egg Hunt: The Void's Incredible Richness (Apr 14, 2006)
- W49 Press Photo (July 22, 2003)
- Discovery of Nearest Known Brown Dwarf (Jan 13, 2003)
- Deepest Wide-Field Colour Image in the Southern Sky (Jan 10, 2003)
- Infrared Images of an Infant Solar System (May 7, 2002)
- Dusty Disks around YSO in Orion (Jun 7, 2001)
- How to Become a Star (Jan 10, 2001)
- Stellar Birth in a Dark Cloud (Oct 27, 2000)
- The Most Remote Gamma-Ray Burst (Oct 17, 2000)
- M17 Press Photo (Sept 14, 2000)
- Dark Cloud RCW 108 (Oct 27, 2000)
- Youngest Brown Dwarf Yet in a Multiple Stellar System (Jul 21, 2000)
- Faintest Methane Brown Dwarf Discovered with the NTT and VLT (Aug 18, 1999)
- Dark Cloud Barnard 68 (Jul 2, 1999)
- Southern Fireworks above ESO Telescopes (May 18, 1999)
- First Results from the UT1 Science Verification Programme (Nov 26, 1998)
- First Light Press Release (Jan 29, 1998)
- ISAAC and SOFI: New Infrared Instruments for ESO Telescopes (Jun 17, 1997)