Re: Midas Problem under Linux?

Kym M. Hill wrote:

> I am running midas under Linux (Recent version).  If I run X-Windows
> with more than 256 colours (say 16bit since my video card has 2Mb of
> ram and I use 1024x768) , then midas fails to create a display window.
> See output below:
>
>    Midas 001> create/dis
>    OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>    no. of LUTs has been changed to 1073770848
>
>    OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>    OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = 0
>    We could not connect to IDIserver
>    OSX: Writing error in 'round_trip', error = -1
>    Midas 002>
>
> Is there a solution to this problem?  Every thing works fine if I
> configure X to work in 256 colour mode. I am happy to have a 256
> colour LUT, but would like to have 16bit colour for other applications
> that are running at the same time.
>
> Any hints welcome.
>
> Thanks Kym
>
> --
> |  Kym M. Hill               |                                |  _--_|\  |
> |  Department of Mathematics |--------------------------------| /  au  \ |
> |  University of Tasmania    |            E-Mail:             | \_.--._/ |
> |  Australia.                | hill@hilbert.maths.utas.edu.au |       *  |
>               Henceforth I spread confident wings to space,
>                      I fear no barrier of crystal or glass;
>              I cleave the heavens and soar to the infinite.
>                And while I rise from my own globe to others
>       And penetrate even further through the eternal field,
>     That which others saw from afar, I leave far behind me.
>                                                    (-Giordano Bruno 1584)

Dear Midas Users,

In our anonymous ftp account you may find the latest MIDAS release
98NOVpl1.4 available in source and binary copies for Linux RedHat 5.1
Solaris 2.5.5 and HP 10.20

In particular this release includes improvements to adapt MIDAS to
different X11 setups (true-color, pseudo-color,etc..)
mostly affecting Linux users.

Finally be aware that the binary release of MIDAS may not work
with releases of Linux lower than 2.0.34.

Best regards,