Re: Availability of sources for DAOPHOT in MIDAS 98NOV

Petra Nass wrote:

> Dear Bernard Debray, dear MIDAS users,
>
> >  In the distribution of MIDAS 98NOV, the sources for the DAOPHOT package
> > are no longer supplied (directory
> > /softl/midas/98NOV/contrib/daophot/src).
>
> This is not correct. The DAOPHOT sources should be still there and I
> checked this on the CD-ROM (98NOVpl2.1) as well as on my computer
> (98pl2.2).
> So maybe something went wrong on your computer? I would recommend you to
> use either the CD-ROM (I think you got one?) or to get the 98NOVplx.x.tar.Z
> file from our ftp server again.

Actually it depends on whether you (or your site manager) has installed the
`sources' and/or just the `binary' packages. ESO provides ready-to-run binary
versions of MIDAS for several different computer platforms, intel-Linux, solaris
etc. Installing just the appropriate binary provides a fully functional MIDAS.

ESO also provides the (uncompiled) source code from which you can build MIDAS
yourself. Somewhat confusingly on the FTP site all of the provided TAR files
have the same name... e.g. 98NOVpl2.1.tar.gz (hint, hint).

Personally I install both source and THEN the appropriate binary (note order is
IMPORTANT) Since I have never quite managed to compile myself a version of MIDAS
that runs quite as well as the binary version provided by ESO.

Hope this clears up any remaining confusion.

John Pritchard.                                      http://www.astro.ku.dk/~jdp
New Zealand Science & Technology Post-Doctoral Fellow
Niels Bohr Institute for Astronomy, Physics and Geophysics
Astronomical Observatory, Juliane Maries Vej 30, DK-2100 Copenhagen X
phone: +45 35325992   fax: +45 35325989    email: mailto:j.pritchard@astro.ku.dk