Funding Opportunities in Chile (Anuncio de Oportunidades)
11. júní 2018
To enhance its programme of scientific cooperation with its host country, ESO provides and manages an annual fund devoted to the development of disciplines related to astronomy and technology in Chile. The board, which consists of representatives of ESO and the Chilean Government (working through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), evaluates and selects the programmes to be supported by this fund. These fall into five areas:
- ESO grant funding to postdoctoral programmes in astronomy at Chilean academic institutions.
- Funding for academic faculty positions for periods of up to two years at Chilean academic institutions.
- Funding to support the development and presentation of educational programmes for the teaching and dissemination of astronomy in Chile.
- Funding to support development programmes and the construction of technological systems for astronomy.
- Funding to support the development of astronomy in areas not covered by the above four categories.
The Joint Committee of ESO and the Government of Chile will consider all proposals that contribute to the development of astronomy in Chile and will allocate funding up to an approximate total of 330 million Chilean pesos in 2018. The criteria for the allocation of funding will take into account the merit of the projects, the strategic priorities determined by the Committee, the matching between the requested amount and the scope of the projects, and the applicants’ record.
In particular, the committee strongly encourages the submission of ambitious proposals in the area of astro-engineering to enhance collaboration between groups or institutions in Chile and abroad. It is intended that a substantial amount of the available funding will be allocated to this type of project for an initial period of up to two years, with the possibility of renewal for two additional periods, for a total of up to six years. Projects approved under this modality must be re-presented every two years, and renewal is conditional on a favourable evaluation of the activities performed in the previous period.
For the present Call for Proposals, the Committee also draws attention of the applicants to the event of the total solar eclipse taking place in Chile in July 2019.
Proposals must be submitted by institutions by 3 August 2018.
Proposals must be written in English or Spanish, using the form at the link below (please note that the form is in Spanish only).
For further information about the submission of proposals, please contact the office of the ESO Representative in Chile.
Tel: +56 2463 5311