Information resources and reference tools
|ADS: NASA Astrophysics Data System
The Astrophysics Data System (ADS) is a NASA-funded project whose main resource is an Abstract Service, which includes four sets of abstracts: astronomy and astrophysics; instrumentation; physics and geophysics; and the Los Alamos preprint server. Each dataset can be searched by author, object name (astronomy only), title, or abstract text words. In addition, the abstract service has been extended to include links to scanned images of over 160,000 journal articles for articles appearing in most of the major astronomical journals.
| Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg (CDS)
The Strasbourg astronomical Data Center (CDS) is a data center dedicated to the collection and worldwide distribution of astronomical data and related information. Among others, CDS hosts the SIMBAD astronomical database. as well as the VizieR Service and The Aladin Interactive Sky Atlas.
| IAU: Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
The Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams (CBAT) operates at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, under the auspices of Commission 6 of the International Astronomical Union (IAU). The CBAT is responsible for the dissemination of information on transient astronomical events, via the IAU Circulars (IAUCs), a series of postcard-sized announcements issued at irregular intervals as necessary in both printed and electronic form.
| GCN, The GRB Coordinates Network:
GCN has developed a system that calculates positions of Gamma Ray Bursts (GRB). Those positions are distributed around the world in real time so that other instruments can make follow-up observations in other wavebands while the burst is still bursting and provides reports on follow-up observations made by ground-based optical and radio observers.
| NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED)
NED is built around a master list of extragalactic objects for which cross-identifications of names habe been established, accurate positions and redshifts entered to the extent possible, and some basic data collected. Bibliographic references relevant to individual objects have been compiled, and abstracts of extragalactic interest are kept on line. Detailed and referenced photometry, position, and redshift data, have been taken from large compilations and from the literature.
| Planetary Data System (PDS)
The Planetary Data System (PDS) archives and distributes digital data from past and present NASA planetary missions, astronomical observations, and laboratory measurements mainly of solar system objects.
| Astronomical Data Center (ADC)
Effective October 1 2002, NASA is directing ADC users to other sites that provide similar services. Maintenance and updating of the ADC's Web site and services will be discontinued.
- IAU Web Homepage
- IAU Membership Directory
- IAU Commission 5: Documentation and Astronomical Data
- IAU Commission 5: Working Group Libraries
- European Astronomical Society (EAS)
- AAS Membership Directory
- Astronomische Gesellschaft
- AstroWeb: (CDS version). The largest collection of astronomical Internet resources.
BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search Engine)
Citebase (experimental citation index for the free, online research literature)
Eccellio (science miner)
Google [advanced search] / Google Scholar / Google Book Search
Internet Address Finder
Kartoo (results are displayed graphically rather than listed)
Lycos Catalog of the Internet
MetaGer (deutsche Metasuchmaschine)
Mooter (visualizes search results through clustering)
Quintura (search results are clustered rather than listed)
Scirus (Elsevier search engine for scientific information)
Seekport.de (deutschsprachige Suchmaschine)
Soople.com (Expert Google search made easy)
- Directory of astronomy libraries
- LISA conferences
- Union List of Astronomy Serials (ULAS): 2nd edition, is composed of bibliographic information (primarily) about non-commercial publications of observatories and institutions concerned with research in astronomy. Names and addresses of libraries represented can be found in the ULAS List of Abbreviations.
- T-REX: web interface to the IAU Astronomy Thesaurus.
- Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) Library
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) Library
- U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO) Library
- Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics John G. Wolbach library
- Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen
(special collection on astronmy and astrophysics)
- Max-Planck-Institute for Astrophysics (MPA) Library
|Subito. Dokumentlieferdienst der deutschen Bibliotheken.
|FIZ AutoDoc. FIZ Karlsruhe's broker service for document delivery.|
|Cisti. Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information.The catalog contains more than 50,000 serial titles and more than 600,000 books, reports and conference proceedings in science, technology, engineering and medicine.|
|GetInfo. Access to electronic documents and the catalogue of the TIB (Technical Information Library, Hannover, Germany)|
|Zeitschriftendatenbank access to e-journals by subject|
|Cross Ref Search|
|TIB(Technische Informations-Bibliothek Hannover)
|Research Solutions. Document delivery service.|
|Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering & Technology. Comprehensive science, engineering, and technology collections.|
|Elektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek (EZB)
access to electronically published scientific journals
|Bibliotheksverbund Bayern (BVB)|
- Library of Congress
- TIB (Technische Informations-Bibliothek) Hannover
- Bibliotheks-Verbund Bayern
- Bayerische StaatsBibliothek
- TU München, Universitätsbibliothek.
- Deutsches Museum, Bibliothek
- Universitätsbibliothek München
- Karlsruhe: Virtueller Katalog (KVK)
- Die Deutsche Bibliothek [library catalog]
- KOBV (Kooperativer Bibliotheksverbund Berlin-Brandenburg)
- The British Library [ library catalog ]
- The European Library (TEL)
Collections of Library Servers