Re: COPY/DD and OUTDISK/FITS

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 04:25, Paul Warhurst wrote:
> Midas 058>COPY/DD blah.bdf NPIX/i/1/1 blah.bdf NAXIS1/i/1/1
>
> which works fine, creating NAXIS1 and copying the 1st elemnet from
NPIX
> to the first element of NAXIS1. This is while the file is BDF, but
when
> I OUTDISK/FITS the resultant BDF files, the newly created descriptors
> dissappear! For fun I tried OUTTAPE/FITS, the fun was shortlived.. no
> difference.

The problem is associated to the special meaning of the NAXISn keywords
in FITS.  To avoid problems, MIDAS descriptors with names corresponding
standard FITS keywords are treated in a special way (in most cases
ignored).
The include file 'incl/fitsdkw.h' defines the exact list of descriptors
which
are handled with a special mapping.  The list also includes descriptors
with
special MIDAS meaning.

It is possible to change this list and re-compile/install MIDAS but it
may
give unforeseen side-effects.

Cheers,
Preben