Knock-on Industrial Benefits
Industrial firms who receive ESO contracts also accrue secondary benefits apart from any specific technologies developed. A recent CERN survey carried out amongst suppliers that had received CERN supply or development contracts has shown that firms benefited from a number of secondary benefits. The specific advantages identified in this survey include:
- The development of new products as a direct result of the original contract
- The starting of new business units
- The opening of new markets
- The increase of international exposure
- Technological learning
- Market learning
- Increased sales
- Higher employment growth
- Better technological performance
- Better performance in valuation growth.
No similar study has been carried out at ESO, but due to the similarities between the two Organisations similar benefits would be expected to accrue to many ESO suppliers as well.
ESO Technology Division
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2, D-85748 Garching, Germany