Long Night of Science 2007
This year the Forschungszentrum in Garching celebrates its 50th anniversary. This jubilee is celebrated with the Long Night of Science (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaft) on Saturday, 13 October 2007. ESO Headquarters in Garching near Munich will participate in this event and will open their doors to the public from 18:00 - 24:00 hours.
Staff members will provide information about ESO and the ongoing work at this organisation.
Special attention will be given to the public presentation of the exciting, recent research results from ESO's various telescopes, in particular the VLT, part of the La Silla-Paranal Observatory in the Chilean Atacama Desert.
The following activities are presently planned:
- ESO is presenting itself in a video presentation (schedule)
- Short talks (20 minutes schedule)
- Information about employment opportunities at ESO
- Exhibition and Video Conference with the Paranal Observatory
- Presentation of the ESO/ECF Science Archive
- Demonstration of the Astrophysical Virtual Observatory
- Image processing and quality control of VLT data
- ESA/ESO Space Telescope European Coordinating Facility (ST-ECF) , the European coordination center for the Hubble Space Telescope
- Presentation of astronomical instruments
- Information about radio astronomy
- Demonstration Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Demonstration Adaptive Optics
- Observing possibilities with amateur telescopes
- Demonstration of infrared detectors. Visitors can take away their own pictures
- Exhibitions of the Volkssternwarte München and the Observatory of Königsleiten
- A planetarium show for children
- Kids' Corners: Games and Fun for children
- Souvenir shop with posters, T-shirts, etc
- Coffee and soft drinks in the ESO cafeteria